Now that I have been home almost 2 weeks, I feel that I have finally (sorta) collected my thoughts about my last couple days in Rome and my first semester in general. Plus, it is New Year's Eve, so what better time to reflect on my fabulous first semester in la citta eterna!
Amidst my packing and studying for finals during the last week (yes, believe it or not, I did actually study this semester!), I took some final walks around the city with the girls to do our favorite things for the last time of the semester. I ate my favorite pear pasta as my final dinner in Rome, drank my last caffe latte at Pascucci, and visited the classroom building one last time....see picture documentation of every moment below :)
 |
A very messy room 603!
|
 |
| My hard work paid off in the end---3 As and one B+ this semester! |
 |
| Saying "ci vediamo" to Bruno, my favorite Pascucci man :) |
 |
Last caffe latte until second semester
|
 |
The Tiz: my home away from home
|
 |
Last dinner with my fall Rome girls
|
 |
Pear pasta with creamy carrot sauce...a must try in Rome!
|
 |
My regular seat in all my classes this semester
|
 |
| Final late night walk to the Pantheon |
I also was able to attend my first papal audience of the semester because I didn't have class on that last Wednesday, and I am definitely glad I was able to go. Pope Benedict is so little and precious...I just wanted to give him a huge hug :) He gave a Christmas blessing in 8 different languages, and people from the respective areas of the world cheered in response when he began speaking their languages. The whole experience just further solidified the fact that Catholicism is, by definition, universal. We are not alone in our faith; quite the opposite in fact. We are connected intrinsically and intimately with the Body of Christ throughout the world, despite our differences in culture, language, appearance, etc. SO COOL. This semester has definitely been a period of growth for me in my faith life. If there was ever a doubt in my mind about any of it, it has virtually disappeared now. It is one thing to read about the lives of the saints, but quite another to actually
where they lived, worked, ministered, and are now buried. Similarly, it is one thing to learn about the papacy in a religion class, but quite another to visit the Sistine Chapel and Saint Peter's Basilica to actually see where the process takes place. I of course am not saying that seeing is necessary for believing, but living in Rome, amidst centuries of Catholic history, really makes you think, "How
couldn't you believe?"
 |
| Il Papa Benedetto XVI |
 |
| St. Peter's at Christmastime |
 |
| Anna captured this moment as I was praying on my final night at St. Peter's Square |
On Thursday of our final week (the day before we all parted ways), we had our final meal of the semester at the Tiz: the Christmas banquet! Like the Thanksgiving banquet, everything was decorated and presented beautifully. It was a great time to enjoy each other's company, talking about our memories of the semester, while also anxiously looking forward to going home to our families for Christmas. Some of the girls on the program who are in choir back at SMC sang "I'll Be Home for Christmas" and "The Belles of Saint Marys," and Dr. Prebys gave a great reflection on the semester in general, complete with quotes from famous writers about Rome.
Needless to say, the banquet and the hours that followed were quite emotional for me--I just couldn't bear the thought of such a good thing coming to an end and not having my amazing friends by my side for second semester. I've always struggled with goodbyes, but this one was especially tough. Thursday night, I stayed up late reminiscing with my roomies, reading our "quote book" of the semester, and watching all our funny videos. We all had separate flights back home, and I was the first to leave. As the car pulled away at 4 am on Friday morning, all 3 of my quad-mates stood waving goodbye in their pjs from the steps of the Tiziano, and all I could think of was the quote, "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." Of course, adding to the emotion-packed 24 hours, it rained all the way to the airport, just as it had the night we arrived in Rome in September.
A lot has happened since that first rainy night when 49 girls from Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana showed up in a foreign city, confused, nervous and excited for the adventure that awaited. I've witnessed centuries-old history firsthand. I've become more independent and comfortable in traveling. I've seen the natural beauty of God's great earth in the unique places I've visited. I've gained a semester of education unlike anything I've experienced before. I've grown in understanding my Catholic faith. I've made lifelong friends with whom I will always be able to share my memories of studying abroad. And Rome is no longer a figment of my imagination, but a reality. A home. The place I get to return to for another semester of adventure in January. What more could I ask for?
 |
| A special thanks to my Rome roomie and one of my new best friends, Hannah Ziegeler, for her fabulous photography over the past 3 months. You have beautifully captured so many memories that I will always cherish <3 |
 |
| Until January 2013, ciao for now, Roma! |
No comments:
Post a Comment